Here’s something we can all get behind in this time of political strife. Pizza.
Today is National Pizza Day, a time to celebrate the greatness of the near-perfect Italian concoction. As if you needed a reason.
Any conversation about pizza includes a debate over where you can find the best slice. Outside of Italy, Brooklyn and Chicago are popular, but the debate continues all over the country.
Here are some interesting facts about pizza:
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza at 36% of all pies ordered.
- Over 3 billion pizzas are sold in the USA each year. Add another 1 billion on frozen pizzas
- 17% of all US Restaurants are pizzerias.
- Antica Pizzeria, the first Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
- Gennaro Lombardi, the first Pizzeria in the United States, opened in 1895 in New York City.
- Americans consume on average 23 pounds of pizza per person each year.